Are you thinking about putting your house on the market? What are you doing to get your home ready for potential buyers? Did you know that a house that looks fabulous on the surface sells a lot faster than a less maintained and un-kept home, even if both homes were maintained structurally?
Let’s face it, if you are headed out to look at homes you are generally going to gravitate to the one that looks well groomed. This well groomed home is going to sell faster and it will sell for a higher price. People want to live somewhere that looks like it was well cared for and chances are they don’t want to have to start from scratch to make the less maintained home look as good as the well-kept one.
When thinking of selling your home these are some things that you should consider:
· What should you spend to make your house look amazing?
· Does your home have good curb appeal?
· Does the interior of your home look good?
How much is too much?
While you are getting your home ready to hit the market you should try to spend as little as possible. You could go out and get a new roof and honestly buyers will think, “oh awesome, a new roof” but chances are they would probably not pay any extra for this. There are small ways that you can add a little extra to your home that don’t break the bank before you’ve even made the deposit. Buyers would rather see freshly painted walls, or a nicely landscaped yard.
What you see from the road is important!
Two words curb appeal! Before you put your house on the market, take some time and make people who drive by your home WANT to live there! There are simple things that you can do to make this happen:
· Keep you landscape looking nice
o Trim those hedges, pull the weeds
o Add some pretty flowers, potted plants make your home look inviting
· Touch up any peeling paint
· Fix any loose or missing shingles on your roof
· Re-seal your driveway
· Apply a new coat of paint to the outside of your home
· Close your garage door
· Keep any extra “stuff” you have that usually sits on your property in storage while you are trying to sell your home. Think your boat, RV, or desert toys. You don’t need these in the driveway while trying to sell your home
Make the inside shine!
There are super easy things that you can do to make the interior of your home look amazing. Here are a few that you should consider:
· Deep clean every room in your home. Get rid of clutter. This will make each room look a little bigger and a little brighter. If you need to rent a storage unit to store some of your “extra” things now would be a great time to do that.
· Have a cleaning person come in regularly. They often clean places we never even think about (tops of the doorways, top of the fridge)
· Give the inside a face lift with a fresh coat of a neutral colored paint
· Check for leaks or cracks throughout the house
· Repair any cracks, holes in the drywall, broken window panes and or torn screens
· De-clutter your kitchen by putting away appliance that sit out on your counter. The same goes for your bathrooms. Clean and clutter free kitchens and bathrooms are appealing ones!
There are many inexpensive things that you can do to spruce up your home that will make it more appealing to buyers. If you are thinking of selling your home and have any questions on things you can do to give your home that “Wow” factor let me know and I would be happy to help!